FIFA has joined the World Health Organisation in the fight against domestic violence.
The duo paired up to raise awareness with a 16-day campaign on activism against gender-based violence.
According to a press statement from WHO, the campaign kicks off on November 24.
It will commence on the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women. The statement further revealed it will end on Human Rights Day on December 10.
FIFA President, Gianni Infantino said the home should be a safe place for everyone.
His words: “Violence is never the answer, especially at home, which should be a safe environment for everyone, and particularly for women and children.”
“It is FIFA’s statutory obligation to respect all internationally recognised human rights and as an organisation, FIFA shall strive to promote the protection of these rights. The #SafeHome campaign is now in its second year, and FIFA will continue to make football’s voice heard to amplify this message until these acts are no longer part of our society.”
The WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus stressed on violence against women.
Ghebreyesus said “the COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated many health challenges.” This includes, “violence against women.”
“We all must come together to end all forms of violence and discrimination. WHO is pleased to team up with FIFA and football stars around the world to help prevent violence against women and children, support survivors, and make our societies safer and healthier for all?”
According to a data from WHO, one in four women aged 15-24 have experienced violence. The data claims that around 738 million women have experienced physical and/sexual violence.
The data said: “This violence starts early: one in four young women (aged 15-24 years) who have been in a relationship will have already experienced violence by an intimate partner by the time they reach their mid-twenties. Data suggests women’s exposure to violence has likely increased during the COVID-19 pandemic due to lockdowns and disruptions to vital support services.
“Violence – in all its forms – can have an impact on a person’s health and well-being throughout their life. It is associated with increased risk of:
- Anxiety disorders.
- Unplanned pregnancies.
- Sexually-transmitted infections including HIV.
- Other health problems.
- Tremendous costs to households.
- Societies as a whole.
“The five-part #SafeHome video campaign, which supports the WHO’s message to end violence against women and children, is being published in seven languages during the next 16 days. The campaign raises awareness of the risks and highlights actions that can be taken to prevent and mitigate these risks through survivor advice and support. There is also content that addresses perpetrator risk and calls for additional governmental effort to support those who are in a vulnerable situation.
“#SafeHome passes messages from 23 past and present footballers, many of whom have previously voiced their condemnation of violence against women and children.”
The footballers will publish their #SafeHome contents on their social media channels. FIFA and WHO would also feature the contents on all digital platforms.
The players to feature in this campaign are:
“Once again, we call upon FIFA member associations to pro-actively publish details of national or local helplines and support services that can help anyone who feels threatened by violence,” added the FIFA President.
“In this regard, we also call upon our members to review their own safeguarding measures using the FIFA Guardians toolkit, to ensure that football is fun and safe for everyone in our game, especially the youngest members of the football community. This is what FIFA stands for, and it is what all of football has to stand for.”
Source: PUNCH HealthWise