Punch reports that Dr Dare Ishaya, The National President of NARD, gave out this information during an interview in Abuja. Although, the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, has defied truth in the claim.
As recalled earlier, reports had it that last week, the association after interventions by the Nigerian Medical Association, had put a halt to its industrial action with the aim of holding a meeting of the National Executive Committee to review the activities of the Federal Government six weeks after. The NARD commenced its industrial action on August 2, 2021.
Sources concerned with the matter told news correspondents on Monday that since the association suspended its industrial action, the Federal Government stopped the payment of the medical residency training fund which it commenced before the strike was suspended; claiming that the Federal government had started paying 20 centres giving them false hope.
One of the sources said that about thirty-four centres had not been paid and salary arrears, even the one for August and September had not been paid. The development was confirmed by Dr Ishaya. Moreover, Ngige confirmed the aspect of non-payment of salaries, pointing out that the case was still in court meanwhile the government was working towards an out-of-court settlement.
He said the striking doctors would not be paid for the months they did not work. On the residency fund, the minister said the payment was suspended because some individuals who were not resident doctors were paid. In his statement, he gave a reason why there would be no payment as no work was done in August and September.
He also said the Ministry of Health and the AGF had received a new list which would be processed and they would work towards payment based on the verified list