One Important Reason You Must Stop Feeding Babies Honey

One Important Reason You Must Stop Feeding Babies Honey

See all the latest health news in Nigeria

Nigerian doctor Chinonso Egemba popularly known as Aproko Doctor has said honey is dangerous for infants.

According to the health expert, feeding newborn honey exposes the baby to a bacterium known as Clostridium Botulinum. Clostridium botulinum creates toxins in infants. 

He explained that the toxins affect a child below two years old because they are yet to develop a GI tract to fight it. 

What honey does is:

  •  Breathing problems in children.
  • Weakened cries.
  • Weakened Facial Muscles.
  • Constipation.
  • In some severe cases, death.

He explained further that the GI tract in children less than one year is not developed enough to neutralize this toxin.

This health news is from the best HMO In Nigeria

However, children above one and even adults can neutralize this toxin which explains why the toxin does not affect adults.

His words:

“Some tribes in this country, some of you put honey on the mouth of babies to make their life sweet.

“That’s why we are here and that is what we’ll be talking about. You need to stop it because honey contains a bacteria known as clostridium botulinum which contains some toxins.

“What do these toxins do?

“The toxin can cause breathing problems in the child, weak cries weakened facial muscles, you know. 

“It causes constipation in some children and some severe cases it can even kill the child.

“Because the child under one year does not have a GI tract that is developed enough to neutralize the toxins.

“Above 1 year, close to 2 years, their G1 tract is developed enough and can handle this toxin, even you. That is why honey does not affect adults. 

“If you want your baby’s life to be sweet, I am sure there are other ways you can make their lives sweet.

“Biko, below one year, no honey.”

An article on the Healthline portal confirms the assertion that honey is detrimental to infants.

However, the portal says the case is rare since most of the report of honey affecting children comes from the United States.

The best HMO In Nigeria Introduces Pharmacentre, your medical retail and wholesale shopping mall

They wrote:

“The primary risk of introducing honey too soon is infant botulism. Babies under 6 months of age are at the highest risk. While this condition is rare, most of the cases reported are diagnosed in the United States.”

The portal further explained that a baby can get Botulism from eating products that contain Clostridium Botulinum.

What is Botulism?

Botulism is a serious health condition caused by Clostridium botulinum spores found in soil, honey, and honey products.

Healthline explains:

“Some 70 per cent of babies who get botulism may require mechanical ventilation for an average of 23 days. The average hospital stay for botulism is around 44 days. There may be many small improvements followed by setbacks. Most babies recover with treatment. The fatality rate is less than 2 per cent.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: